2. RULING: A 4/22 A18. The period is not extended. The period is not extended if the statement of the penalty includes loss of down. Whether Team B accepts or declines the penalty for the intentional grounding foul, Team A will next put the ball in play on A's 18, 4th down, to start the second quarter. Thus, Team A gets to punt with the wind to start the second quarter. NOTE: An ongoing rule change request from the Pigskin Page would include "extend the period at the option of the opposing team" in 3-2-3. A team should not benefit by committing a foul that includes a loss of down. Click on 2018 Rule Change Requests on the selection screen.
3. RULING: A 1/10 A19; Snap. The result of the play is a safety. The below the waist block by B36 against an eligible receiver beyond the neutral zone is a foul. A legal forward pass was still possible when the foul occurred. The basic enforcement spot is the previous spot since the run ended behind the neutral zone. The penalty is 15 yards and a first down.
4. RULING: A 1/10 A/25; Snap. Accidentally kicking the ball is considered a muff. The ball becomes dead when recovered by A72. Team A next puts the ball is play since a Team B player touched the ball after the kick crossed the neutral zone. The game clock may have to be adjusted.
5. RULING: Safety. A f/k A20. A4 threw a backward pass out of bounds but not to conserve time. Thus, this is not an illegal pass. The impetus came from the backward pass. It would not be an illegal batting foul if A4 batted the loose ball from the field of play through A's end zone. It would be an illegal kicking foul if A4 kicked (implies intentionally) the loose ball from the field of play through A's end zone.
6. RULING: A f/k A35. Team B did not foul prior to the change of team possession. Thus, the try is not replayed. The try would also not be replayed if the only foul on the return was by Team B. If the only foul during the return was by Team A, the score would count and it would also be A f/k A35. The penalty for the Team A personal foul would be enforced on the free kick only if the foul was flagrant and not part of offsetting fouls. The try would be replayed from B's 3 if, for example, B98 was offside.
7. RULING: A 4/13 A37. A88 fouls when he returns inbounds during the down since he did not return inbounds immediately after being blocked out of bounds. Team A is in possession when the down ends so the 5-yard penalty is enforced from the previous spot, A's 42. The 5-yard penalty would be tacked on if Team B was in possession when the down ends. Under the current rule, this would be a foul even if A88 was blocked out of bounds after B44 got possession, ran out of bounds for several yards and then returned inbounds. NOTE: An ongoing rule change request from the Pigskin Page would change "scrimmage kick down" to "scrimmage kick play" in Rule 6-3-12. A scrimmage kick play is the interval between the snap and when a scrimmage kick comes into player possession or the ball is declared dead by rule (2-30-3). After the kick ends, rules should be consistent for all changes of team posesession. Click on 2018 Rule Change Requests on the selection screen.